Candy and Adult Beverages
Claire Hayes over at Spoon University created a list of the best candy/alcohol pairings. As a college student, she created these pairings for budget-minded students who will be drinking the Halloween weekend away. For those of you who need a little help suffering through the hordes of trick or treaters on Halloween, this will work for you as well!
• Captain Morgan and Twix: Pairing dark rum with a Twix bar is like pairing peanut butter and jelly – they go perfectly together. The darkness of the rum will be nicely balanced by the lightness of the cookie and chocolate, and the caramel will just pull it all together.
• Tequila and Warheads: Since cutting limes can be a pain, I suggest you use a Warhead instead after your shot to really cut the taste. Not only will you skip to pre-party prep, but you’ll also get to see your friends experience the sourness of a Warhead.
• Strawberry Lemonade Vodka and Gummy Bears: Soaking gummy bears in vodka is a great way to drink your alcohol and eat it too, but using gummy bears as a chaser also has the same effect. Plus, the sweetness of the gummy bears will be a refreshing chaser after the harsh and cheap vodka that you just swallowed.
• Natty Light and Candy Corn: For all you lovers of tradition out there, I suggest pairing a traditional college beer, like Natty Light, with a traditional Halloween candy, like candy corn. It’s like drinking beer and eating popcorn, only Halloween themed.
• Lime Burnett’s and Skittles: I know what you’re thinking, “oh God, Burnett’s!”, but trust me. After any shot of this cheap vodka, any flavor of Skittles will be just sweet enough to take away from the harshness of the lime flavor.
• Red Wine and Hershey’s Dark Chocolate: What’s better than a glass of smooth red wine paired with a rich piece of dark chocolate? I’ll tell you: a red solo cup of Franzia Cabernet paired with a mini Hershey’s dark chocolate bar.
• Jack Daniel’s and Reese’s: I am a firm believer that peanut butter makes everything better, even whiskey. So for all you whiskey drinkers and non-drinkers out there, pair it with a Reese’s and you won’t be sorry.
• Straw-Ber-Rita and M&M’s: I love chocolate-covered strawberries, but those tend to be a lot of work and a lot of mess for a pregame. But pair a Straw-Ber-Rita and a pack of M&M’s together and it’s almost the same thing.
• Malibu and Almond Joy: Go ahead and make yourself a Malibu mixie, and while you’re sipping, take a bite of an Almond Joy. You’ll feel like you’re on the beach in the Bahamas, not in a cramped dorm room pre-gaming.
• André and Starburst: If you want to be really classy at your pregame, serving fruit and champagne is the way to go. If you want to be classy on a budget then serving André and Starburst is the way to go.