Caramel Apple Cupcakes
Caramel Apple cupcakes
(makes 22-24 cupcakes)
APPLE SPICE CUPCAKES
1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
3 egg whites
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup salted butter, slightly melted
1 large apple, peeled and chopped
1 cup butter
1 cup shortening
8 cups powdered sugar
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together flour, sugars, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl.
- Add egg whites, vanilla extract, sour cream, milk and butter and mix on medium speed just until smooth. Do not over mix.
- Stir in chopped apples
- Fill cupcake liners about 3/4 full.
- Bake 17-19 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 1-2 minutes, then remove to cooling rack to finish cooling.
- To make the buttercream, combine butter and shortening and mix until smooth.
- Add 4 cups of powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Add caramel sauce and mix until smooth.
- Add remaining powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Top cupcakes with icing and a drizzle of caramel.