Homemade Cheese Filled Pretzel Balls
by Charles Pobee-Mensah, Director of Digital Marketing
This recipe is an altered version of Tasty’s homemade soft pretzel recipe. They have a great video for guidance, so check out their walkthrough.
Step six below is where we’ll change it from regular soft pretzels to cheesy pretzel balls. The original Tasty recipe is shown in quotes.
- “1 ½ cups water, warm”
- “1 tablespoon salt”
- “1 tablespoon sugar”
- “1 packet active dry yeast”
- “4 ½ cups flour”
- “3 tablespoons oil, divided”
- “⅔ cup baking soda”
- “2 eggs, beaten”
- “Coarse salt”
- 1 block of mild cheddar cheese
- “In a bowl, mix water, salt, and sugar until combined. Add yeast, and let rest 5 minutes until yeast starts to foam.”
- “Add flour and 2 tablespoons of oil, and mix thoroughly until a dough forms.
- “Remove the dough and use the remaining oil to cover the bowl.”
- “Cover bowl with plastic wrap, and leave in a warm place for 1 hour.”
- “Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).”
- Instead of rolling pretzels, you make balls. Put a square block of mild cheddar inside about ½ inch cube – pinch close – roll into a ball so you can’t see the seam.
- “Add baking soda to a large pot of water, and bring to a rolling boil. Boil each pretzel for 30 seconds per side.”
- “Transfer pretzels to a baking sheet, brush with egg wash and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown.”