Creamy Orzo with Chicken Sausage
By Kelsi Roth, Senior Graphic Designer & Social Media Coordinator
A super simple, one-pot recipe!
- 1/2 large zucchini, sliced into round discs then quartered
- 4 ounces white button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 3 fully-cooked chicken sausage links, sliced into round discs then quartered, any brand
- 1 1/2 cups orzo
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock or broth
- 7 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- Splash of heavy cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and add in the garlic. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the onions and zucchini. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 4-5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and sausage. Cook until mushrooms have reduced in size, about 2 minutes.
- Add the orzo to the pot and toast it for about minute, stirring constantly. Gently add the chicken stock, bring to a boil, then turn down the heat to low and cover and cook for 10 minutes, or until orzo has cooked through. Stir in the diced tomatoes and add the splash of cream (about 1 tablespoon). The mixture should still be creamy because of the starch from the orzo. If it is still a bit runny, you can cover and let it cook for another 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Recipe Courtesy of Table for Two https://www.tablefortwoblog.com/creamy-orzo-with-chicken-sausage/