by Kristy Cartmell, Graphic Designer
Squash soup is a great way to make use of in-season food during November. This simple, healthy recipe is full of flavor and color! It’s sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound of sweet salted butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 5 pounds of sweet onions
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 5 pounds of organic Russet potatoes
- 1 medium butternut squash – peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 32-ounce container chicken stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a large pot, and cook the onion, celery, carrot, potatoes, and squash 5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Pour in enough of the chicken stock to cover vegetables. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and simmer 40 minutes, or until all vegetables are tender.
- Transfer the soup to a blender, and blend until smooth. Return to pot, and mix in any remaining stock to attain desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper.