Quinoa and Vegetable Soup
By Kristy Cartmell, Graphic Designer & Social Media Specialist
This is a hearty, veggie and quinoa packed Latin stew. It’s full of nutritious ingredients and bright, fresh flavors! A healthy soup you’ll want all year round!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 cups vegetable broth, then more as needed
- 1 pound red potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup prewashed or rinsed white quinoa
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 2 tomatoes, cored and chopped coarsely
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Salt and pepper
- 4 ounces queso fresco or feta cheese crumbled
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted and diced
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper and saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, paprika, coriander, and cumin and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in broth and potatoes and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low (I covered the pot from this point on) and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Stir in quinoa and simmer for 8 minutes. Stir in corn (I actually waited to add corn until adding the peas since I used frozen corn) and simmer until potatoes and quinoa are just tender, about 5 – 7 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and peas and cook until warmed through, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper to taste. (Stew can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.)
- Add additional broth as needed to thin sauce when reheating.
- Sprinkle each serving with queso fresco, avocado, and cilantro before serving.
Recipe Courtesy Of Cooking Classy: https://www.cookingclassy.com/quinoa-vegetable-stew/