- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon orange zest and 3/4 cup dried cranberries to make orange cranberry scones
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest and 3/4 cup fresh blueberries to make blueberry lemon scones
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips for chocolate chip scones
- Position the oven rack to middle position and preheat to 425 degrees.
- Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a food processor. Pulse for six 1-second pulses. Pulse one more time. Transfer dough to a large bowl. Quickly mix in butter pieces by hand until the mixture resembles coarse meal with a few slightly larger lumps.
- Stir in the cream with a spatula until dough forms, 30 seconds.
- Transfer dough and all flour bits to a board and knead just until it comes together into a rough, sticky ball (5-10 seconds). Cut into 8 wedges.
- Place wedges on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush tops with 1 tablespoon of cream and sprinkle them with sugar just before baking. Bake until scone tops are light brown, 12-15 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.