Stuffed Acorn Squash
By Hayley Lardinais, Account Coordinator
Stuffed Acorn Squash
- dutch oven
- 3 acorn squash
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 apple skin peeled, core removed, diced (1 1/2 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 ribs celery diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- ⅓ cup Italian panko bread crumbs
- ⅓ cup freshly grated parmesan
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Using a sharp chef's knife, carefully cut the acorn squash in half. Cut a flat spot on the bottom so the acorn squash does not roll around while roasting. Using a spoon, scoop out the seeds and stringy pulp, and discard. Be careful not to scoop too far through the bottom or it will cause a hole and the stuffing will later fall out.
- Brush olive oil evenly onto the squash. Sprinkle a pinch of kosher salt and black pepper onto each squash to season.
- Roast for 30 minutes until you can just pierce with a fork (it will be going back into the oven with the stuffing to finish cooking through).
- While the acorn squash is roasting, in a dutch oven over medium/high heat, add in the 3 tablespoons of olive oil and the Italian sausage. Fully cook the sausage through, about 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the sausage and leave the oils/small bits in the pan. Set the sausage aside.
- Lower the heat to medium, add in the diced onion and celery, sauté for 4 minutes until they begin to soften. Add in the apples, sage, thyme, garlic, a pinch of kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. Sauté for 4 minutes. Return the sausage back into the dutch oven with the vegetables and stir to combine. Allow flavors to meld for 3 minutes.
- Using a spoon, evenly add the stuffing into the acorn squashes.
- In a small bowl, mix together the panko bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over the top of each acorn squash.
- Place the stuffed squashes into the oven for 15 minutes. The breadcrumbs/parmesan should be toasted brown. Remove from the oven and serve.
Recipe courtesy of https://girlwiththeironcast.com/stuffed-acorn-squash/