Classic Belgian Waffles
By Shane O’Neill, Vice President
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups milk
- non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat the waffle iron according to the manufacturer’s instructions. In 1 medium bowl sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a second bowl use the wooden spoon to beat together the egg yolks and sugar until sugar is completely dissolved and eggs have turned a pale yellow. Add the vanilla extract, melted butter, and milk to the eggs and whisk to combine. Combine the egg-milk mixture with the flour mixture and whisk just until blended. Do not over mix.
- In a third bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form, about 1 minute. Using the rubber spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the waffle batter. Do not over mix!
- Coat the waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray and pour enough batter in the iron to just cover the waffle grid. Close and cook as per manufacturer’s instructions until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
March 15, 2022