County fairs and carnivals are plentiful in the summer and it can often be hard to choose which sweet treat you want to indulge in. Funnel cakes are an easy treat to make at home, making the decision a little easier! You can also experiment with different toppings, such as fruit, chocolate syrup, sprinkles, and candy to make it even more delectable.
- 2 eggs, large, at room temperature
- 1 cup milk, 2%
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour, all-purpose
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- oil, for deep frying
- confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add milk, water and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; beat into egg mixture until smooth. In a deep cast-iron or electric skillet, heat oil to 375°.
- For each cake: Cover the bottom of a funnel spout with your finger; ladle 1/2 cup batter into the funnel. Holding the funnel several inches above the oil, release your finger and move the funnel in a spiral motion until all the batter is released, scraping with a rubber spatula if needed. Alternatively, you can use a measuring cup in place of a funnel spout and pour the batter into the oil in a spiral pattern.
- Fry until golden brown, 2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners' sugar; serve warm.