Chicago Pizza Crust
- 5 cups flour, all-purpose, 11-12%, preferably Ceresota
- 1 3/4 cups water, cold
- 3 tablespoons lard
- 2 1/2 teaspoons sea salt, fine
- 1 3/4 teaspoons malt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (1 pack) yeast, instant and dry
- Add water, then yeast and whisk together
- Add flour, then malt and begin to slowly mix
- After it begins to come together, give the bowl a scrape to get remnants on bottom.
- Add lard in the middle and gently mix together. Add salt
- Once bowl is fairly clean, remove dough and give a quick hand knead by hand.
- Place back into bowl, cover with saran wrap and let sit 4 - 5 hours
- Roll out dough until it’s big enough to put into a deep dish pan.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
- Coat bottom and sides of a 12-inch cake pan or traditional Chicago style pizza pan with melted butter. Spread out about three-quarters of dough across the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Cover bottom in 100% mozzarella cheese, all the way up to the edge. Add your favorite toppings and spread out to the edge. Top with grated parmesan.
- Bake about 25 min or until done.