Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Whoopie Cookies
By Angie Ash, EVP
- 2 sticks butter, unsalted
- 1 cup granulated sugar (or 2/3 cup honey) Using sugar will result in a flatter cookie. If you bake with honey, expect a thicker texture!
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (or gluten-free alternative)
- 1/4 cups cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon hot brewed coffee
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring (or beet juice)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 12 ounces regular or 1/3 less fat cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk (or heavy cream)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a stand or hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar or honey together in a large bowl until creamy. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, kosher salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, beating at low speed just until combined.
- Add coffee and red food coloring or beet juice and mix through.
- Fold in the chocolate chips, then refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes.
- Using a large cookie scoop or tablespoon, scoop dough and roll between your hands to make smooth ball shapes. Place dough balls on parchment paper or silicone mat covered baking sheet, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake at 350 until edges are firm, 10-12 minutes.
- Let cool on the pan for 10 more minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Using a stand or hand mixer, make your filling by mixing the cream cheese and powdered sugar together until smooth. Beat in heavy cream or milk to make the filling easier to spread.
- Spread a generous amount of filling onto the bottom, flat sides of half the cookies. Top with remaining cookies, flat-side down.
February 6, 2023