Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno and Cheese-Stuffed Shrimp Recipe
Theresa Busse, Digital and Social Marketing
- 2 pounds large shrimp, peeled, deveined, and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, cut into thin strips
- 3 jalapenos, halved, seeded, and cut into thin slices
- 1 pound bacon strips, halved
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 lime, quartered
In a small bowl mix together garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Place shrimp in a large bowl and season with 3/4 of the spice mixture, tossing to evenly coat.
Working with one shrimp at a time, make a slit about 3/4-inch long as base of shrimp. Place one jalapeno slice and one cheese slice in cut slit, then wrap base of shrimp all the way around with half a slice of bacon. Repeat with rest of shrimp.
Thread shrimp onto skewers and season lightly with remaining spice mixture. Brush shrimps lightly with melted butter.
Light one chimney full of charcoal. When all the charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and spread the coals evenly over entire surface of coal grate. Set cooking grate in place, cover gill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Clean and oil the grilling grate. Grill shrimp over high heat until bacon crisps and shrimp just cook through, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove to a platter and serve with lime wedges.