Summer Squash Soup
Feeling hot? Here’s a tasty chilled soup to cool you down!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion halved lengthwise and sliced thin
- ½ teaspoon salt or more to taste
- 2 pounds yellow summer squash or zucchini halved and sliced thin
- 2 carrots thinly sliced
- 1 sweet potato peeled, halved and sliced thin
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
Heat the oil and butter in a large pot over moderate heat. Cook the onion with salt, stirring until it begins to caramelize (about 8 minutes). Add remaining vegetables and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, partially covered, until the vegetables are very tender (about 20 minutes). Let it cool for 10 minutes off the heat.
Working in batches, puree soup in a blender until smooth and transfer back to the pot. I use an immersion blender right inside the pot. Way less cleaning! You can thin it out with water if you feel it’s too thick at this point. Let it simmer for 3 minutes more. Season with salt to taste and refrigerate. When chilled, sit back and enjoy! This recipe could also be made as a hot soup in the cooler months.